Skin peeling, otherwise known as exfoliation, is a critical step in improving a wide variety of skin concerns. Many people mistakenly believe that if a product dries their skin a little, then this product is too “harsh” and so they reduce or stop their usage. This is a huge mistake that will prevent people from getting the best results.
It’s true that uncomfortably dry, red, or irritated skin should be avoided. If your skin gets painfully dry then you need to decrease usage. On the other hand, flaking skin that is not tender or irritated is exactly what you should be experiencing when you start using a new alpha hydroxy acid (AHA)!
Almond Clear is powered by mandelic acid, an AHA that’s derived from bitter almonds. When applied to the skin, it dissolves the bonds between dead skin cells. These cells flake off both on the surface of your skin as well as inside the pores. As skin cell turnover increases, a variety of skin improvements occur:
- Clogged debris is dissolved and can escape from the pores.
- Hyperpigmented skin cells are exfoliated and replaced with new, normally-pigmented cells.
- Ingrown hairs that were held under dead skin can escape the surface of the skin.
- Skin cell turnover stimulates your body to produce collagen and elastin, two proteins that are responsible for firm and plump-looking skin.
- If you don’t allow your skin to peel, then none of these improvements will occur!
You’ll experience maximum drying over the first few weeks of using Almond Clear. That’s why it’s important to gradually work up to daily applications because this gives your skin time to adapt. If your skin gets red, chapped, is cracking or bleeding, itchy, or is painful in any way, then this means that you've overdone the exfoliation and you need to stop applications for a few days, then gradually reintroduce the product as tollerated. After six to eight weeks of Almond Clear usage, your skin should be fully adapted and no longer flaky.
To combat flaking skin, use a non-comedogenic moisturizer as often as needed. And make sure to wash your hands after applying the serum so that your palms don’t peel.
If you can deal with a few weeks of peely skin, then you’re much more likely to achieve your skincare goals!